[R-sig-Geo] reading PostGIS table into sp data frame

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Dec 21 13:30:52 CET 2012

On Fri, 21 Dec 2012, Edward Vanden Berghe wrote:

> The GDAL was installed from www.gisinternals.com/sdk; I installed the 32
> bits version, though my Windows version is 64: the table on
> gisinternals.com stated that there was a build problem with the 64-bits
> version.
>
> rgdal was installed from CRAN, as a binary, version 0.7-20, build
> 2.15.1. R version is 2.15.2 (2012-10-26) -- "Trick or Treat", platform
> x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit).
>
> The output from ogrDrivers() is pasted below.
>
> If I understand you correctly, and since I am using the standard CRAN
> Windows binary package, I might be out of luck?

Not out of luck, the users of the CRAN Windows and OSX rgdal binaries are
very lucky indeed, thanks to hard work by Uwe Ligges, Brian Ripley and
Simon Urbanek. At least many of the most commonly used drivers are
present.

There never is a complete set of drivers ionstalled in any GDAL, some
depend on proprietary dynamically linked objects.

file.show(system.file("README.windows", package="rgdal"))

displays the accumulated - but *not* updated - wisdom with regard to
installing source rgdal on Windows, linked to an external GDAL DLL. If you
try to follow this route, please pass back your experience with regard to
installing - it is likely that much has changed. You may find that OSGeo4W
is another source for a Win32 GDAL binary, but I don't see from the
documentation whether it supports PostGIS.

Installing Linux, PostgreSQL, PostGIS, GDAL, Proj.4, etc., then R and
rgdal under Linux will probably require less jumping through hoops than
building rgdal against an external 64-bit GDAL under windows.

Hope this helps,

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no