[R-sig-Geo] how to generate a trend surface in spdep

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Oct 20 14:30:20 CEST 2011

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011, chenliang wang wrote:

> Dear list:
> I am just a newcomer to spatial autoregression.I have a question that
> how to generate a trend surface by means of function lagsarlm() of spdep:
> I have a sample points file, some vector points of independent
> variables,some surfaces of independent variables.I fit a spatial
> autoregression model using function lagsarlm(),and then I get some
> coefficients. How to generate a surface accordling to the simulated
> model? Thank you.

The spatial lag model you have chosen is a spatial econometrics model, for
which prediction and interpolation are not well defined in the literature.
Interest is rather on the regression coefficients. If you need to predict
or interpolate, why do you not prefer a geostatistical approach, where the
regression coefficients are unimportant, but the prediction, possibly of a
surface, is the main goal?

Hope this clarifies,

Roger