[R-sig-Geo] Quick poll -- favorite GIS textbook?

Corey Sparks corey.sparks at UTSA.EDU
Wed Oct 12 16:29:47 CEST 2011

Hello,
As someone who teaches GIS to social scientists and policy wonks, I like
Paul Longley's GIS and Science book, here is a link to Paul's page:
http://paul-longley.com/books/

It is not a software book, but more of an application and "why" book, which
is not common in the GIS world.  For undergrads, Andy Mitchell's books:
http://esripress.esri.com/display/index.cfm?fuseaction=display&websiteID=22&moduleID=1
and
http://esripress.esri.com/display/index.cfm?fuseaction=display&websiteID=86

are good, as they show what ArcGIS can do, but without teaching ArcGIS, for
that I go with:
Getting to Know ArcGIS desktop:
http://esripress.esri.com/display/index.cfm?fuseaction=display&websiteID=143&moduleID=0

because it comes with a 6 month license of ArcGIS, some data and lots of
homework.

If your class is GIS, and not statistics I would avoid using books that
focus heavily on stat, especially if they are Geography undergrads, and
focus more on applications of GIS, data types and structures, and areas
where it can be applied.

My 2$
Corey

Corey Sparks
Assistant professor
Department of Demography
The University of Texas at San Antonio
501 West Cesar E Chavez Blvd
San Antonio TX 78207
Corey.sparks 'at' utsa.edu
210 458 3166 <tel:210%20458%203166>
Latitude: 29.423614  /  Longitude: -98.504282

-----
Corey Sparks, PhD
Assistant Professor
Department of Demography