[R-sig-Geo] Quick poll -- favorite GIS textbook?

Paul Hiemstra paul.hiemstra at knmi.nl
Wed Oct 12 10:13:44 CEST 2011

On 10/11/2011 08:29 PM, Jonathan Greenberg wrote:
> R-sig-geo'ers:
>
> I wanted to take a quick poll -- what is your favorite introductory
> GIS textbook?  I'm evaluating texts for a basic GIS course I'll be
> teaching next year, and I wanted to get some feedback from the
> open-source community.  Thanks!
>
> --j

Hi Jonathan,

On topic (I don't want to start a ArcGIS vs Open source flame :)). When
I did a graduate course in GIS, we used the book "Principles of
Geographical Information Systems" by Peter Burrough and Rachael
McDonnell. I think the book is ok, especially when teaching to under
graduates. It covers a wide range of topics and does not explicitely use
one type of software (e.g. ArcGIS).

regards,
Paul

--