[R-sig-Geo] uploading KML to Google My Maps

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Oct 12 11:58:15 CEST 2011

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 8:49 AM, Tomislav Hengl
<hengl at spatial-analyst.net> wrote:

> Erin,
>
> I do not think that Google allows ftp access to their servers (I think what
> you wanted to ask is - how to automate visualization of KML files using
> Google Maps). You can ftp the complete KML files including the auxiliary
> data to some WWW directory, then parse URLs e.g.:

 The other way of doing it might be to use Curl to construct the POST
request that a browser sends when importing a KML file from the google
maps web page. The tricky bit might be handling the authentication -
but I imagine the R interfaces to Google Docs might have this covered.

 Browser inspection show a POST request to
http://maps.google.co.uk/msupload with a multipart-form payload
including the KML file, then another POST request to
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?authuser=0 which I don't
understand...

 I imagine the R Google Docs guys could have a headstart on this -
give them a nudge, this would be cool :)

Barry