[R-sig-Geo] uploading KML to Google My Maps

Tomislav Hengl hengl at spatial-analyst.net
Wed Oct 12 09:49:51 CEST 2011

Erin,

I do not think that Google allows ftp access to their servers (I think
what you wanted to ask is - how to automate visualization of KML files
using Google Maps). You can ftp the complete KML files including the
auxiliary data to some WWW directory, then parse URLs e.g.:

maps.google.com/maps?q=http://globalsoilmap.net/data/E33_S14_ORCDRC_1_gif.kml

*Unfortunately, this service often breaks and KMZ files will often not
open (or they will open with a lot of delay).

Google is also developing a repository for geo-data (which they call
Google Earth engine), but I could not figure out when they will open it
to public (so you can drop any GIS layers and serve it from there).

You might also want to take a look at the plotGoogleMaps
[http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/plotGoogleMaps/index.html]
package developed by a colleague from Belgrade (just met him at the
GEOSTAT Belgrade summer school).

For point data, you can consider using Google Fusion tables. Google
provides a lot of geographical functionality with point data, hence they
will generate KML files for you on the fly (e.g. if you provide lat lon
and/or address etc.).

HTH

T. Hengl
http://www.wewur.wur.nl/popups/vcard.aspx?id=HENGL001