[R-sig-Geo] Fwd: Re: Problem creating raster brick (Lyndon Estes)

Lyndon Estes lyndon.estes at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 17:40:54 CET 2011

Hi Swen,

Thanks for the suggestion. That brings to mind an earlier problem I
had with a different functions substituting values on large rasters,
and I got around it by writing the following lines into the code:

  if(raster:::.toDisk() != TRUE) {
     setOptions(todisk = TRUE)
     cat("We don't want memory problems--forcing write to disk.\n")
  }

So I will see if that works in this case.  However, I am still curious
why the problem is occurring with my particular grid files, but not
with the dummy rasters I made, which are in fact somewhat larger.
Also, the combined size of the 9 grids is < 30 mb, which was well
below my available memory (~about 500 mb free).

In the meantime, I am continuing with stacks and checking whether a
forced write or lower memory limits will help.

Thanks again,

Lyndon