[R-sig-Geo] Quick poll -- favorite GIS textbook?

Anne Ghisla a.ghisla at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 19:36:11 CET 2011

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 17:13:35 -0400
Steve Friedman <friedman.steve at gmail.com> wrote:

> While open source gis is appealing most jobs still require
> introductory employees to use arcgis products. I'd stay away from
> anything else if you want your students to thank you latter.

Sorry if I step in a bit late.

Well, if students are taught the concepts and are given open source
GIS to practice, they will be able to use any other GIS. The advantage
is that they won't need to buy licenses or worse have illegal copies
to complete the tutorials.

I also agree with Rich's opinions.

The decision of teaching closed source GIS comes often by the will to
prepare people to work. And workplaces simply adopt what people have
learned at school, and/or ask for people able to use the software they
bought some time in the past and are reluctant to abandon...
One of the ways to break this circle - and reward competent technicians - is to be
truly software independent.

My 2c,
Anne