[R-sig-Geo] Advice on Citation for geoR

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue May 31 08:06:50 CEST 2011

On Tue, 31 May 2011, Ben Madin wrote:

> G'day,
>
> I am just checking - the citation('geoR') command returns :
>
>  @Article{,
>    title = {geo{R}: a package for geostatistical analysis},
>    author = {Paulo J. Ribeiro Jr and Peter J. Diggle},
>    journal = {R-NEWS},
>    year = {2001},
>    month = {June},
>    volume = {1},
>    number = {2},
>    pages = {14--18},
>    note = {ISSN 1609-3631},
>    url = {http://CRAN.R-project.org/doc/Rnews/},
>  }
>
> whereas rgdal returns :
>
>  @Manual{,
>    title = {rgdal: Bindings for the Geospatial Data Abstraction Library},
>    author = {Timothy H. Keitt and Roger Bivand and Edzer Pebesma and Barry Rowlingson},
>    year = {2010},
>    note = {R package version 0.6-33},
>    url = {http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=rgdal},
>  }
>
> Using the article citation is fine, but I haven't read the R-news
> article, and feel that the manual pages for geoR are probably more up to
> date... and the information in the R-news article may be somewhat
> outdated.

R-News is online, so you could check. I suspect that citation() should
also give:

@book{Diggle+Ribeiro:2007,
    title ={Model-Based Geostatistics},
    author = { Diggle, P. J. and {Ribeiro Jr.}, P. J.},
    publisher = { Springer },
    address = {New York},
    year = {	2007 }
}

which covers geoR in detail. Ideally, the package CITATION file should be
kept up to date, but I don't think that package maintainers focus on this.

> From an academic perspective, am I bette to cite the manual using a
> similar style to rgdal?

Happily, more journals are letting us cite both manuals and the software
itself, so citation by default gives the software reference.

Roger