[R-sig-Geo] WGS 84 coordinates and the use of Euclidean calculations for short distances--is it ever okay?

Clint Bowman clint at ecy.wa.gov
Sat May 21 00:39:18 CEST 2011

I think I would convert your coordinates to a rectangular one
(e.g., UTM or a Lambert Conformal) and compute distance
relationships there.

Clint

Clint Bowman			INTERNET:	clint at ecy.wa.gov
Air Quality Modeler		INTERNET:	clint at math.utah.edu
Department of Ecology		VOICE:		(360) 407-6815
PO Box 47600			FAX:		(360) 407-7534
Olympia, WA 98504-7600

         USPS:           PO Box 47600, Olympia, WA 98504-7600
         Parcels:        300 Desmond Drive, Lacey, WA 98503-1274