[R-sig-Geo] Kernel density plot on a US map

Ashton Shortridge ashton at msu.edu
Tue Mar 22 16:05:07 CET 2011

Hi Ravi,

> generating the kernel density plots but unable to superimpose the density
> plot on the US map???
Check out the following R code.

library(spatstat)
library(maps)
library(maptools)

# Make a random set of lat-lon pairs with values
usdat <- data.frame(x=runif(50, -115, -85), y=runif(50, 33, 41), z=runif(50,
0, 100))

map('usa')
points(usdat$x, usdat$y)  # do they fall in there?

# Create an owin object from the USA outline(s)
usmap <- map('usa', fill=TRUE, col="transparent", plot=FALSE)
uspoly <- map2SpatialPolygons(usmap, IDs=usmap$names,
proj4string=CRS("+proj=longlat +datum=wgs84"))
spatstat.options(checkpolygons=FALSE)
usowin <- as.owin.SpatialPolygons(uspoly)
spatstat.options(checkpolygons=TRUE)

# Create a spatstat ppp object
pts <- as.ppp(usdat, W=usowin)
plot(pts)

# Plot a a density surface
plot(density(pts))

# Plot a smoothed surface using the weights
plot(smooth.ppp(pts, 3))