[R-sig-Geo] rgeos released on CRAN

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Mar 22 11:21:10 CET 2011

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 16:51:21 +0100 (CET), Roger Bivand <Roger.Bivand at nhh.no>
> wrote:
>> On Mon, 21 Mar 2011, Roger Bivand wrote:
>>
>>> With some trepidation, rgeos - an interface to Geometry Engine - Open
>>> Source (GEOS) for topology operations on sp geometries - is now released
>>> on CRAN as a source package. A Windows binary package should follow within
>>> a couple of days. If an OSX binary package is offered on CRAN extras,
>>> information will be given, otherwise use the Kyngchaos framework and
>>> install from source. Contributions of bug reports, code patches, and
>>> extensions are welcome, especially via R-Forge. Congratulations to Colin
>>> Rundel for a very thorough implementation during GSoC 2010!
>>
>> The fresh maptools 0.8-* release now on CRAN suggests rgeos. It can
>> use rgeos in checkPolygonHoles(), unionSpatialPolygons() and
>> elsewhere, but can still use gpclib if the user prefers. The rgeos
>> version of checkPolygonHoles() adds a comment to each Polygons object,
>> showing whether the member Polygon objects are exterior rings in the
>> OGC "Simple Features" sense, and if they are interior rings, which
>> exterior ring contains them. This maptools release addresses many of
>> the issues raised over recent weeks, but which have been waiting for
>> rgeos to be released.
>>
>> Roger
>>

>>> Enjoy!
>>>
>>> Roger
>>>

> 1. It looks like it's propagating slowly to US mirrors -
> http://cran.cnr.berkeley.edu seems to have it, though.
> 2. The last time I installed the Spatial task view from source, quite a few
> routines seemed to have the option of using rgeos but I was never able to get
> that to work. Is there anything I need to do to make that "automatic", or
> does just installing rgeos from CRAN now make it happen?

Thanks for your feedback. Because rgeos is new on CRAN, other packages
have not been able to depend on it or suggest it, so there is no record of
reverse dependencies or suggestions - the latest maptools is now a reverse
suggestion. Could you please report back in a little while on how the
situation progresses and hopefully normalised?

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no