[R-sig-Geo] rgeos released on CRAN

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at borasky-research.net
Mon Mar 21 20:08:36 CET 2011

 On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 16:51:21 +0100 (CET), Roger Bivand
 <Roger.Bivand at nhh.no> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2011, Roger Bivand wrote:
>
>> With some trepidation, rgeos - an interface to Geometry Engine -
>> Open Source (GEOS) for topology operations on sp geometries - is now
>> released on CRAN as a source package. A Windows binary package should
>> follow within a couple of days. If an OSX binary package is offered on
>> CRAN extras, information will be given, otherwise use the Kyngchaos
>> framework and install from source. Contributions of bug reports, code
>> patches, and extensions are welcome, especially via R-Forge.
>> Congratulations to Colin Rundel for a very thorough implementation
>> during GSoC 2010!
>
> The fresh maptools 0.8-* release now on CRAN suggests rgeos. It can
> use rgeos in checkPolygonHoles(), unionSpatialPolygons() and
> elsewhere, but can still use gpclib if the user prefers. The rgeos
> version of checkPolygonHoles() adds a comment to each Polygons
> object,
> showing whether the member Polygon objects are exterior rings in the
> OGC "Simple Features" sense, and if they are interior rings, which
> exterior ring contains them. This maptools release addresses many of
> the issues raised over recent weeks, but which have been waiting for
> rgeos to be released.
>
> Roger
>

>> Enjoy!
>>
>> Roger

 1. It looks like it's propagating slowly to US mirrors -
 http://cran.cnr.berkeley.edu seems to have it, though.
 2. The last time I installed the Spatial task view from source, quite a
 few routines seemed to have the option of using rgeos but I was never
 able to get that to work. Is there anything I need to do to make that
 "automatic", or does just installing rgeos from CRAN now make it happen?

--
 http://twitter.com/znmeb http://borasky-research.net

 "A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems." -- Paul
 Erdős