[R-sig-Geo] Map digitization and classification

Michael Sumner mdsumner at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 01:40:22 CET 2011

Hi Tim, wow that looks it could be rather difficult to automate. It's
probably easiest just to visualize them in a map plot and then use
locator() to recreate the locations for each symbol. That would not be
too difficult, but there are a few options.

Is the data not also published in the atlas in tabular form?

If I had to do this myself I'd probably use an interactive GIS like
Manifold, but it certainly could be done in R fairly simply with some
manual handling. The major problem is probably the overall accuracy
when you try to georegister the scans.

Cheers, Mike.