[R-sig-Geo] R2 values from SSErr fit.variogram attribute

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Tue Mar 15 07:45:00 CET 2011

On 03/15/2011 04:18 AM, Sébastien Durand wrote:
> Hello Dr. Pebesma and all other 1989 readers...
>
> Believe me, I would have been much happier, if I could comprehend this tiny little detail that you refer to as :
>
>> It looks quite OK; I suspect however that instead of using
>> mean(s.v$gamma) for SSTot, for this mean the same weighting scheme
>> should have been used.
>
> I still do not understand what you mean by that.  I am very sorry for that and yes I now feel stupid, sincerely I am doing my best to graps very old notions.
>
> In my function, it is the weighted residual that are squared, that part is ok, but now you are telling me that I am not using to proper "mean" reference, that in fact the "same weighting scheme should be used on that ... ???  Did you meant "mean(vario$gamma)*weig" ???
>
> I would like to receive an explanation for this?

You're comparing a weighted fit to an unweighted mean. If you want to
evaluate the fit (by R2), the corresponding null-model should use the
same weights, IMO. Given weights w and values sv$gamma, that would be
sum(w * sv$gamma)/sum(w) rather than mean(sv$gamma).

Or, alternatively, weighted.mean(sv$gamma, w)