[R-sig-Geo] Polygons with islands are not drawn using plot or spplot

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Mar 8 17:46:58 CET 2011

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011, Mathieu Rajerison wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm beginning with R. Excuse me in case my question has already been asked.
>
> When I plot polygons with a color fill, the fill color is empty for polygons
> who have got islands.
>
> Any issue for this?

Please provide a very short reproducible example, if necessary posting
data files on a web server; also remember to report the output of
sessionInfo(). The answer is that for some reason the hole slots of the
component Polygon objects are not being set correctly, and this will
depend on how the objects were imported or created. If the hole slot is
set as TRUE, the background colour will be shown. Does setting
usePolypath=TRUE in the plot() call make a difference?

Roger