[R-sig-Geo] Invitation to Partcipate: Species Distribution Modelling Survey (niches, climate envelopes, habitat suitability etc...)

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Jun 16 15:38:56 CEST 2011

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011, Greg McInerny (Brook Street) wrote:

> Dear Timothy (and r-sig-geo), This fits perfectly into the interests of
> this discussion forum? - "a discussion forum for those analysing
> ecological and environmental data with R".

In fact:

"R-sig-Geo -- R Special Interest Group on using Geographical data and
Mapping"

and:

"A mailing list for discussing the development and use of R functions and
packages for handling and analysis of spatial, and particularly
geographical, data. The list also covers mapping and cartographic issues,
and interfaces between R and geographical information systems."

So the posting was somewhat off-topic, but not radically so, and was
perhaps rather less humble in tone than some might prefer. It is not easy
to survey researchers about software use, and other postings have done
this in the past (on other R lists, and I think on this one). If
subscribers find it irritating - especially those with no connection to
species distribution modelling, ignoring it is a possibility. The authors
have clarified their affiliation, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Roger