[R-sig-Geo] Supervised landscape classification according to NDVI time series

Alexandre Villers villers.alexandre at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 10:44:03 CEST 2011

Hey,

 From what I understood, most landscape classification methods available
from GRASS (through R) do not account for the temporaI aspect of
spectrum. So for example, if you have a raster where each band
represents NDVI values at a given date, from March to September for
example, the classification will not consider that values are
time-dependant. I would like to use time series of NDVI values to
classify pixels in different type of crop, accordingly to the shape of
each time series (rapeseed will not present the same NDVI time serie as
would alfalfa or wheat).
I was wondering if someone could point me to a method that would allow
such classification using R ? I started looking at Functional Data
Analysis but I must admit that I'm a bit lost at the moment.

Thanks for any help

Alexandre