[R-sig-Geo] Methodology to compare crop maps

Robert J. Hijmans r.hijmans at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 06:27:33 CEST 2011

Hi Thiago,

You are not saying _what_ goes wrong. That makes it difficult to help.
I am guessing that you are missing some of the steps below. You do:

cane_sa[cane_sa>0]<-16

# I do not know your exact objectives but it seems strange to use 0 here,
# as even a cell that is covered for 1/600 of its area with cane would
be classified as cane.
# but irrespective of the threshold you choose, I think you need:

cane_sa[cane_sa < 16] <- NA
veg_sa <- crop(vegmap,south_america)
newveg_sa <- cover(cane_sa, veg_sa)

# and then continue with your code again:

new_vegmap <- merge(newveg_sa, vegmap)

Robert