[R-sig-Geo] SpatialFiltering function in the spdep package

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Jun 8 07:46:15 CEST 2011

On Wed, 1 Jun 2011, Jonathan Thayn wrote:

> I have a quick question regarding the SpatialFiltering function. I have
> created a dataset wherein I control the amount of spatial
> autocorrelation in the model residuals before submission to spatial
> filtering. The SpatialFiltering function works really well when model
> residuals are positively spatially autocorrelated, but it doesn't seem
> to work when the residuals are spatially negatively autocorrelated. It
> seems to me from the literature, that spatial filtering with
> eigenvectors aught to be able to handle negatively spatially
> autocorrelated model residuals. Is something about the way
> SpatialFiltering is coded that excludes negative SAC? Does anyone have
> any other ideas that might explain this? Thanks.

The comment at the head of the source for the function says:

# tol: tolerance value for convergence of spatial filtering (Moran's I).
# The search for eigenvector terminates, once the residual
# autocorrelation falls below abs(Moran's I) < tol. For positive
# spatial autocorrelation in the residuals of the basic unfiltered model,
# only those eigenvectors associated with positive autocorrelation are in
# the selection set. Vice versa, for negative autocorrelation in the
# regression residuals.
#
# zerovalue: eigenvectors with eigenvalues smaller than zerovalue
# will be excluded in eigenvector search. Allows to restrict the
# search set of eigenvectors to those with extreme autocorrelation levels.

so the intention was to take both sides symmetrically. Do you have a small
example with say simulated autocorrelation (code) to demonstrate the
problem? It may be that a comparison somewhere is not protected by abs().

Roger