[R-sig-Geo] Example country data to plot

Muenchen, Robert A (Bob) muenchen at utk.edu
Sun Jun 5 16:14:50 CEST 2011

Hi All,

I'm looking for a data set of miscellaneous country measures like population, education, crime, etc. The particular variables aren't that important. I'll use the data for maps and non-spatial plots such as bar plots, scatter plots, etc. If all goes well it'll end up in a book, so I either need to be able to distribute the data or (much better) simply point to a data frame in an R package already on CRAN if I can find one.

The UN Data at http://data.un.org/Explorer.aspx?d=UNESCO provides plenty of variables that would work and it's re-distributable, but each topic is in a separate file and in a slightly different format making a merger a fair amount of work. Does anyone know of an existing file I can use?

Thanks,
Bob

http://r4stats.com