[R-sig-Geo] Comparing euclidean distances between point groups in space andtime

Tobias Erik Reiners Tobias.Reiners at bio.uni-giessen.de
Sun Jun 5 15:24:53 CEST 2011

Dear all,

i have a question concerning comparing the distances between groups of points.
task:
1. I have 4 groups of points. (a) male and (b)female shelter with
hunting location for each (c)(d).
2. I have three seasons each with the 4 sets of points from 1 having
12 pointssets in the end.

I already did distance analysis comparing the distances of each group
in each season. Quite a lot comparisons (a-b;a-c;a-d..c-d). I got a
nice change in distances between the seasons and strong differences
for each group.

One Critism on this analysis was that I have a lot of points twice in
my comparisons and assumptions of tests are violated because points
occur twice.
They told me to use non-parametric multivariate analysis of variance
with the adonis() function in the package vegan.

in short
adonis(distancematrix~gender*season)

How can I achieve having all comparison in one flat table and how to
can I code my gender and season. I got the impression that I violate
even more statistical assumtions when doing it that way.

Thanks for any help
--
Tobias Erik Reiners
Mammalian Ecology Group