[R-sig-Geo] wkbMultiPoint and rgdal

Michael Sumner mdsumner at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 02:13:24 CEST 2011

This is a fundamental philosophical point that I haven't seen made
explicitly before, and I appreciate hearing it and I'm sorry if I've
missed it being laid out previously.

There is another example, similar (I think) to the multipoint one
(you'll find an implementation of multipoint inheriting from lines in
the ASDAR book btw, similar to how 'polygons' inherit from lines in
almost all software I am aware of).

sp's data structures purposely do not support the Z attribute on
vertices either, let alone the M one. If it were up to me I would
stick to the the GDAL/OGR (or OGC model) and let users take the
responsibility of what sense it makes. Points and lines present
absolutely no topological problems for n-dimensional geometry -
polygons do but that's because they are not true 2D topology.

I work in data transfer far more than I do in statistical analytics so
I guess that is mainly where the difference in perspective comes from.
I've come close to being able to modify the designs to do things how I
would like but it's mostly beyond me, I'm not complaining I wish I had
the skills to branch and write my own versions.

Cheers, Mike.