[R-sig-Geo] wkbMultiPoint and rgdal

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Jul 29 09:57:13 CEST 2011

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011, Jonathan Greenberg wrote:

> Hi Dylan:
>
> Thanks -- I'm a bit of a PostGIS noob so I ended converting it to a
> normal point file with the XTools extension in Arc.  I'm surprised
> there is no support for this data type in any R package, since I would
> think it is a fairly common type.  Ah well!

Jonathan,

Not really, as this is the first time I can recall it being mentioned in 8
years. It is far from obvious what one could do with it that couldn't more
properly be done with a SpatialPointsDataFrame with a grouping factor.
What is the implied support of the data? What are the attributes attached
to - say var1 was observed at which of the member points? All of them
simultaneously? If they form a line or polygon, then support is clear(er),
but if a multipoint observation is better handled as described above, then
it should be. Support is absolutely crucial for clarity in analysis (and
visualization), I think.

Roger

PS: this is a similar case to that of the unusual M coordinate in some
shapefiles - if it cannot be shown how this relates consistently to
support, it shouldn't be admitted, I think. If we lose clear understanding
of support for observation attributes, we cease to be able to interact
with statisticians, and that interaction really matters.