[R-sig-Geo] Problem with read.shape in maptools

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sat Jul 23 13:19:12 CEST 2011

On Sat, 23 Jul 2011, Axel Urbiz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to read a shapefile into a Map object. This is exactly what
> read.shape{maptools} is suppoed to do, according to the documentation I
> found in the link below.

Do search the archives properly; the second hit on googling
"list:R-sig-geo read.shape" is relevant. Summarize to the list when you've
resolved your problem. In addition, R is case specific, so an S3 Map
object is not an S3 map object.

Your previous mail refers to a function in the maps package, which does
things that may be supported elsewhere. The only function that seems to
convert SpatialPolygonsDataFrame to a list like the map class is
fortify.SpatialPolygonsDataFrame() in ggplot2, but I don't know if this
does what you need. To be honest, you havent't explained what you want to
do with smooth.map that you cannot do with sp objects - please do read the
available documentation before cross-posting (first post).

Roger