[R-sig-Geo] Fill in empty links with nearest neighbors

Kitty Lee lee.kitty at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 15 04:36:32 CEST 2011

Hi. I have a shapefile. I guess because of cartography problem, the border of some of the units that are supposed to be physically connected are 'snapped' properly. As a result, when I use poly2nb, there are empty links.

I know I can set zero.policy=T in nb2listw. But I'm trying to use skater() function. I notice that it won't accept spatial weight matrix with empty link.

Any advice on how can I easily fix the matrix? Is there a way I can fill in empty link with nearest neighbors?

I'd really appreciate advice on how to manually tweak the connectivity matrix.

Thanks in advance!

K.