[R-sig-Geo] Habitat on a given location (spatial join with R)

Michael Sumner mdsumner at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 12:01:07 CET 2011

library(sp)
?overlay

The example there overlay(srdf, meuse) does what you want for two
variables "X1" and "X2" copied from SpatialPolygonsDataFrame srdf to
the coordinates of SpatialPointsDataFrame meuse.

Also try the sp vignette for an introduction to the Spatial types:

vignette("sp")

I used rgdal's readOGR for shapefiles, but there are other read
functions for shapefiles in maptools, which may be more convenient.

Cheers, Mike.