[R-sig-Geo] Differences Between sp and spatstat?

Ben Madin lists at remoteinformation.com.au
Sun Feb 27 22:39:32 CET 2011

I'm not an expert in this, but one of the important aspects of sp is that it provides a set of classes for consistently handling spatial data. Other packages (such as spatstat) provide more specific analytic capacity. Even if the more specific packages use their own classes, there is now at least a 'common' data structure with which you can import data to R and make it available to other packages.

In a nutshell, you will probably find that many other spatial packages require sp.

I would suggest looking at http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/Spatial.html

cheers

Ben