[R-sig-Geo] Differences Between sp and spatstat?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Feb 25 18:00:20 CET 2011

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011, Roman Lu?trik wrote:

> sp package mainly provides classes and methods for spatial data while
> spatstat provides some statistical tools for analyzing spatial phenomena
> (point processes). You can access help files for both packages by entering
> commands ?sp and ?spatstat into your R console.

Roman,

   I'll need to read more about both to understand the specific differences
germane to my needs.

> If you're having trouble installing packages, you can bet you can find a
> solution in the archives of
> R-help<http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/R-help-f789696.html>.

   I found the solution in the R-admin manual. I could not install from the
shell but could from within R. It worked so I won't waste time wondering
why.

> I find StackOverflow <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/r> perfect
> for coding questions in general. More specific questions should probably
> be directed to specific lists like this one. Also, there's
> crossvalidated.com. You might find it interesting.

   Thanks very much for the pointers.

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.          |   The Plain English Science Consultant
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.   |   Helping Ensure Our Clients' Futures