[R-sig-Geo] How to estimate sig2 attribute for functions linker and kernelbb from the adehabitatHR package

Breitbach, Nils breitbach at uni-mainz.de
Thu Feb 24 16:44:11 CET 2011

Hi Andy,

in my study we followed the birds for the whole day from sunrise (ca. 5.15 h) until sunset (ca. 21.45 h) and recorded every change in position (if we were fast enough). So I could have a temporal resolution of one minute if want to. Of course we have gaps and the individuals have not been followed every day, but for one burst the data are indeed highly serial autocorrelated. That is why I was thinking about using the BB-Kernels to have a look on the differences to the more traditional UD-Kernels.

I know that GPS-telemetry is making progress but there are still a lot of animals out there that can not carry these heavy loads. Furthermore GPS-telemetry is maybe not always the best method; for example if one wants to additionally record a certain behavioural variables like feeding or mating along with the telemetry data - that is something a satellite cannot do. So I think it is worth to discuss the usage of new and promising methods also for such kind of data. Unfortunately I am not a mathematician and I am busy enough being a Biologist with all its sub-disciplines and meanwhile half a geographer for the necessary GIS knowledge. So I feel not able to step deep enough into the formulas to judge about some of the parameters or the best method for obtaining them. Biologists should be the all-in-one human Swiss army knife ;-)

So I thought we might start a discussion in the forum to talk about using the BB-Kernels for various kinds of data?!
Every kind of input or opinion is welcome ...

Cheers,

Nils