[R-sig-Geo] How to estimate sig2 attribute for functions linker and kernelbb from the adehabitatHR package

Breitbach, Nils breitbach at uni-mainz.de
Thu Feb 24 00:09:40 CET 2011

Dear Community,

I just thought that it would be a good idea to have a look on the kernelbb function from the adehabitatHR package. What really puzzles me is how to estimate/calculate the sig2 attribute needed for the functions liker() and kernelbb(). Unfortunately the help for the functions refers to a PhD-thesis (Maillard, 1996, p. 63) that is written in French and I have made the mistake to choose Latin in school. Has anyone of you a solution to calculate a sensible value?

Do I need to calculate sig2 then for each individual and/or burst separately or just pooled over all individuals and bursts?

Cheers,

Nils