[R-sig-Geo] [52N Geostatistics] Space-time spatial variability

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Mon Feb 21 22:32:36 CET 2011

On 02/21/2011 10:07 PM, yong.t.li at optusnet.com.au wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I plan to use gstat to do some 3D kriging on a spatio-temporal dataset I have collected to look at the spatio-temporal distributions of soluble nutrients in shallow groundwater.
> I did read some papers such as written by Heuvelink and De Inco, quite impressed by the outcomes and curiously want to do my own. When I ran demo(pcb) and demo(wind), found the outputs were slightly different from what I expected. they did not calculate the temporal semivariance (or maybe they did but I just did not know where they are).
> In the literature, people always talk about the combination of spatial variance and temporal variance, such product and product-sum functions, but I did not see them in the demo(pcb) and demo(wind).
>
> Any experts in the area giving me a full procedure of using gstat to do 3D kriging is highly appreciated.

py
demo(pcb) essentially uses cokriging, and sees the (4) time replicates
as correlated, but different variables. Spatial correlation is then
modelled in the direct variograms, spatio-temporal correlation in the
cross variograms.

demo(wind) in package gstat defines a separable covariance function
(function covfn) similar to the one used by Haslett and Raftery, that is
passed to krige0. You could define your own function, such as a
product-sum model, here.

In package spacetime the same example is worked out (see the vignette),
using spatio-temporal data structures.

In principle you can mimic product-sum variograms by the metric (3D)
variogram model in 3D kriging in gstat by setting the right anisotropy
ranges to values very close to zero.

> Regards,
>
> Yong Li
>
> ps.
> I used to be on the list of r-sig-geo, but was knocked out by unknown reasons. wish this time I can make it.

I'll keep them informed. Maybe your questions were too hard. ;-)