[R-sig-Geo] classify point by nearest polygon

Corey Chivers corey.chivers at mail.mcgill.ca
Sat Feb 12 23:07:54 CET 2011

I have a large number of points which I would like to associate with
either the polygon (in my case, lake) they are in or nearest to.  I have
succeeded in classifying the points which are actually in a polygon
using overlay().  I have scoured around looking for a solution to
identifying the nearest neighbor polygon of a point but have not found
an elegant solution.

There was a thread about this issue back in 2009 ([R-sig-Geo] Finding
the county shapefile polygon closest to along-lat position), but I was
unable to implement the suggested workaround and wonder if there isn't a
better solution known out there.

Thank you in advance for any help/advice you can provide!
-Corey

--
Corey Chivers, PhD Candidate
McGill University