[R-sig-Geo] How to interpolate river cross section with R?

ivan marchesini ivan.marchesini at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 22:35:44 CET 2011

Hi,
in the past, for a similar problem, I used GRASS and in particular the
module r.surf.nnbathy which is an addon of GRASS.
I used this module to perform a delaunay triangulation considering both
the cross section points and the grid points (only those outside of the
river width). Obviously this approach can work only if the cross section
data are not really sparse respect to the DEM resolution. But since you
have 500 m interval cross section I think this could be a problem.

Another way is to pass, unfortunately, from the proprietary software
HEC-RAS. You can (1)import your cross section data (2)use the
"interpolate cross-section" function and then (3)export (non so simple)
all the cross sections (original and interpolated) as x,y,z values.
At this point you can go back and at GRASS and r.surf.nnbathy.

The only problem is that the result is a sharp rigid surface, but you
can try to smooth it, for example, using some kernel filter.

hope this help.

ivan

--
Ti prego di cercare di non inviarmi files .dwg, .doc, .xls, .ppt.
Preferisco formati liberi.

Ivan Marchesini
Perugia (Italy)
Socio fondatore GFOSS "Geospatial Free and Open Source Software" http://www.gfoss.it