[R-sig-Geo] spdep installing failure

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Aug 31 19:20:47 CEST 2011

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011, pierluigi de rosa wrote:

> Dear list
> I have some problem installing spdep package on ubuntu 10.10 linux.
> I have installed the packages liblapack-dev and r-base-dev but if i run:
> install.packages("spdep",dep=T)
> i have this error:
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lf77blas
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -latlas
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [spdep.so] Errore 1
> ERROR: compilation failed for package ?spdep?

I would advise against binary installs of R on Debian/Ubuntu if you need
contributed packages (like gstat, spatstat, splancs, sp, or in fact most
R-spatial packages with compiled code) unless you are prepared to work
hard at fulfilling dependencies. Did you install R-base as decribed on
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/ ?

My assumption is that you lack most of the dependencies needed to install
source packages with compiled code. Consider asking on R-sig-debian to
determine which, or search their archives to see if this is a FAQ: