[R-sig-Geo] spgrass6 does not load any long

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sun Aug 28 16:16:11 CEST 2011

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011, Martin Renner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> after starting R --vanilla within grass 6.4.1 on Debian amd64 squeeze, I
> get the following error message when calling
>> library (spgrass6)
> Error : .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'spgrass6', details:
>  call: read.dcf(gisrc)
>  error: Line starting 't ...' is malformed!

The error message is clear, your .gisrc file is malformed. I suggest
running in R before library(spgrass6):

gisrc <- Sys.getenv("GISRC")
gisrc

to discover its name, and then examining the contents with, for example,

file.show(gisrc)

inside R. The keys and values should be arranged in the format described
in ?read.dcf. Mine in a spearfish session is:

GISDBASE: /home/rsb/topics/grassdata
LOCATION_NAME: spearfish60
MAPSET: rsb
MONITOR: x0
GRASS_GUI: wxpython

for example. It may be that something has overwritten your gisrc file, so
you may need to correct it. Within GRASS before starting R you can check
it by saying:

cat $GISRC

Also look for any stale gisrc* files that may be being copied across when
GRASS starts.

Hope this helps,

Roger