[R-sig-Geo] rgdal cannot load shared object

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Aug 24 13:30:37 CEST 2011

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011, Sebastian P. Luque wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm on a Debian sid system, and after a an upgrade of packages ('apt-get
> upgrade') over the weekend, loading rgdal no longer works:

Debian GIS packages are not reliable. The CRAN debian checks failed in
mid-May with a libgdal upgrade, which got resolved after some time without
clear diagnoses - possibly an upstream dependency issue in something one
libgdal build depended on and another not. General advice with Debian and
derivative systems is to install GDAL from source if possible to avoid
this kind of issue. The feel of the error message is that some components
have been built with different C++ versions, so your question about
re-installing rgdal for upgraded GDAL binaries has two answers, no if C++
and its libraries have not changed, yes if they have.

I haven't seen a reply on R-sig-debian, so please report back there too if
you make progress.

Hope this helps,

Roger

> ---<--------------------cut here---------------start------------------->---
> R> library(rgdal)
> Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
>  unable to load shared object '/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/rgdal/libs/rgdal.so':
>  /usr/lib/libgdal1.7.0.so.1: undefined symbol: _ZN6libdap10AISConnectC1ERKSs
> Error: package/namespace load failed for 'rgdal'
> R> sessionInfo()
> R version 2.13.1 (2011-07-08)
> Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)
>
> locale:
> [1] LC_CTYPE=en_CA.UTF-8       LC_NUMERIC=C               LC_TIME=en_CA.UTF-8        LC_COLLATE=en_CA.UTF-8     LC_MONETARY=C              LC_MESSAGES=en_CA.UTF-8
> [7] LC_PAPER=en_CA.UTF-8       LC_NAME=C                  LC_ADDRESS=C               LC_TELEPHONE=C             LC_MEASUREMENT=en_CA.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C
>
> attached base packages:
>
> other attached packages:
> [1] sp_0.9-84           slmisc_0.8.9        latticeExtra_0.6-18 RColorBrewer_1.0-5  lattice_0.19-31

> [1] grid_2.13.1
> ---<--------------------cut here---------------end--------------------->---
>
> For libgdal libraries the system has:
>
> ---<--------------------cut here---------------start------------------->---
> $ apt-show-versions -r -p 'libgdal.+'
> libgdal-doc/sid uptodate 1.7.3-5
> libgdal1-1.6.0/squeeze uptodate 1.6.3-4+b1
> libgdal1-1.7.0/sid uptodate 1.7.3-5
> libgdal1-dev/sid uptodate 1.7.3-5
>
> I could remove the 1.6.0 version, but some packages still require it.
>
> Does rgdal need to be updated due to new gdal libraries, or is this a
> Debian-specific problem?  I posted to the R Debian list yesterday, so
> apologies if you read this twice.
>
> Cheers,

Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway.
voice: +47 55 95 93 55; fax +47 55 95 95 43
e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no