[R-sig-Geo] merging polygons by indices

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Aug 17 00:27:32 CEST 2011

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011, majesty wrote:

> still I am not quiet sure how to achieve this by manipulation of ID. Could
> you give an example, say I have 5 polygons in my shapefile shape.shp but
> would like to have 4 polygons, where shape[2] is merged with shape[3]. I am
> somewhat clueless because ID has to be of equal in length to polygons slot
> (in my case 5)

So maybe try:

shape1 <- unionSpatialPolygons(shape, IDs=as.character(shape$output_area))

which will copy across the unchanged entities, and join the ones with
multiple output_area IDs. Note that the only way to retrieve the IDs will
be row.names(shape1), as the function doesn't aggregate other data in
shape.

Hope this helps,

Roger