[R-sig-Geo] Segmentation of SpatialLines at Intersection

Cam Plouffe cam.plouffe at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 20:47:34 CEST 2011

Hi everybody,

I have a SpatialLines object that I created by using the gBoundary()
function on a SpatialPolygons object.  I've attached a plot ("SpatialLines
Segmentation.png") of the SpatialLines object to this email.  What I would
like to do, is segment these SpatialLines wherever there is an intersection,
or overlap of lines.  After I have segmented these SpatialLines at their
intersections, I will be classifying them as either boundary, interior, or
partition arcs.

I have been looking through various packages that work with spatial data in
R, but I have yet to find a function that can help me classify these lines.
 I can find out the intersection points by using the gIntersection()
function on the given SpatialLines, but I need a function that will take
these intersection points, and break these SpatialLines into the segments I
need.

I realize this description may be a little confusing/vague, and I'm willing
to give any info I can to help with a potential solution.  Frankly, I have
difficulty explaining exactly what I'm trying to do, so if there is
confusion I can try to clarify.  I have attached a second image ("Labelled
Segments.png") to this email that hopefully illustrates the labelled
segments that I want to divide the SpatialLines object into.  Altogether,
for the provided example there should be 10.

If someone could aid me in any way with this problem, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,
Cam