[R-sig-Geo] A question about the "extract" function in package "raster"

Richard Ma xuanlong.ma at uts.edu.au
Sun Aug 14 06:33:07 CEST 2011

Hi all,

Suppose I have a raster object, its resolution is 0.25km. Now I want to
extract the value with a spatial point. There is a argument in "extract"
function called "buffer" to set the sampling "radius". If I want to sampling
a 1 km^2 area in my 0.25km resolution raster. How to set the "buffer"? Is
that "buffer = 500"?

Just very curious how the "buffer" works in grid image. I have read the
document and still very confused.

Thanks for your kindly help!

BTW, "raster" is really a great package with lots of useful functions for
image processing. Thank you Robert!

Regards,
Richard