[R-sig-Geo] gstat: Variogram with non-Euclidean Distances

Luca Morandini lmorandini at ieee.org
Fri Aug 12 08:27:47 CEST 2011

On 08/11/2011 04:17 PM, Ben Madin wrote:
> Julia,
>
> I can't help with implementation, but Waller&  Gotway discuss non-euclidean
> distances in geostatistics briefly (p321).

Same other information on the subject may be found in Shabenberger and Gotway
("Statistical Methods in Spatial Data Analysis"). The authors state that
non-euclidean distances may result in non-positive defined covariance matrices,
hence invalid covariance functions (though multi-dimensional scaling can come to
the rescue in some cases)... looks like a tricky subject.

Regards,

Luca Morandini
http://www.lucamorandini.it