[R-sig-Geo] There is a better distribution of linux to get the best performance of R, GRASS.. etc?

stefano stefano at casalegno.net
Fri Sep 17 14:33:49 CEST 2010

Dear Jaime,

The Ubuntu distribution works fine with GIS and spatial analysis OS
software. It is rich of support for beginners.

You can try the  http://gisvm.com/ Ubuntu virtual machine that includes
GRASS R Qgis SAGA and many other interesting tools.

You can also try the virtual machine from the www.spatial-ecology.net
that is very similar. The spatial-ecology wiki provide many examples and
tutorials for beginners willing to learn GIS and spatial analysis using
OS softwares under GUI and under a command line interface. Just register
and explore it.

In my point of view, a slow migration is worst than a complete immediate
shift to Linux. Just open the pinguin and do not close it, you will find
a way to solve your processing difficulties. At the beginning you will
take longer time for doing the same processing you are used to, but in
short time you gain much rapidity, stability of the system and
potentialities.
Stefano