[R-sig-Geo] Contour maps from twitter

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Sat Sep 11 09:55:36 CEST 2010

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 4:28 AM, Ben Nolan <bnolan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thought some of you might like this.
>
> http://bennolan.com/2010/09/10/contour-maps.html

 Neat. Things you might like to do include:

 1. Adding a background image, either OpenStreetMap via my "webmaps"
package, or get Ordnance Survey raster data. You may have to transform
from lat-long to OSgrid ref, but that's all in the spTransform
package.

 2. Make a web-based animation like this:

 http://www.maths.lancs.ac.uk/~rowlings/Chicas/WeeklyCJejuni/

 using my animation framework:

http://www.maths.lancs.ac.uk/~rowlings/Chicas/DIY/

 3. Check out the Spatial Task View on CRAN and get to know the
packages: sp, spTransform, rgdal, raster.

 4. Show us your code?

> I'm loving learning R. Very cool. I'd like to use it for some proper
> analysis though (epidemiology or something), instead of tweet maps. :)

 Maybe if you mapped every tweet that mentioned the word 'sneeze'
you'd get the epidemiology of the common cold - not quite as
ridiculous as it sounds:

http://www.google.org/flutrends/

Barry