[R-sig-Geo] Is there a function to correct arc-node topology of network

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Sep 9 18:33:16 CEST 2010

On Thu, 9 Sep 2010, Barry Rowlingson wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 3:18 PM, binbin lu <lubinbin220 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there a function in any R package to correct  arc-node topology of
>> a network? Similar with the Arcinfo function "Clean (Coverage)".
>
> The GRASS GIS system can do this via v.clean:
>
> http://grass.fbk.eu/gdp/html_grass63/v.clean.html
>
> and there's some R-GRASS interoperability tools (I haven't played
> with them much, but others on this list have). I think it would be
> easier to do it with GRASS than for someone to implement sliver and
> dangle removal in R from scratch.
>
> That said, I do have some code from waaay back that does clean and
> build topology for the old-style R 'maps' data format. I've just
> recovered it from a backup from 1995 and if I get a chance I might see
> if it compiles and play with it. Prospects not good though!

Barry,

Are you thinking of the excellent:

http://www2.research.att.com/areas/stat/doc/93.2.ps

http://www2.research.att.com/areas/stat/doc/95.2.ps

mostly in awk and shellscripts in the second report? Then the building
compiled programs that ship with the source maps package? They are
elegant, but do involve manual editing of text files to remove dangles,
etc. Not a menu in sight!

GRASS may be a way forward, with care.

Roger