[R-sig-Geo] R 2.12.0 and rgdal

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Oct 18 17:26:54 CEST 2010

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010, Roger Bivand wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Oct 2010, Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:
>
>> Dear list members.
>>
>> I have just updated to R 2.12.0, and see that the ‘rgdal’ package isn’t
>> available for installing from CRAN. Is it just a matter of time before it’s
>> available, or are there some technical problems?
>
> No, the migration of binaries for Windows for both 32 and 64 bit has led to
> rgdal being provided from the CRAN extras repository rather than on CRAN
> mirrors, because of the extensive external dependencies, see:
>
> http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/r-release/ReadMe
>
> On OSX one says:
>
> setRepositories(ind=1:2)
> install.packages("rgdal")
>
> but I don't have access now to a Windows installation, so cannot check the
> incantation. If those interested could check, I'll summarise to the list.

Two users have confirmed that the same incantation works. On my fresh
32-bit Windows R binary, my Packages -> Select repositories ... menu
chooses both CRAN and CRAN (extras) by default, and when used the first
time will replace CRAN by the mirror selected from a further menu. I'm
running plain:

update.packages(checkBuilt=TRUE)

on a local library defined in the R_LIBS environment variable, and this
(as well as being the advised way of managing packages) picks up CRAN
extras automatically for other packages too, because it is pre-chosen. So
two conclusions so far:

1)

setRepositories(ind=1:2)
install.packages("rgdal")

works;

2)

update.packages(checkBuilt=TRUE)

works without setting the repository if you have a local library as
described in the Windows FAQ, point 4.2. The CRAN extras rgdal includes a
copy of GDAL 1.7.1, we'll try to move to 1.7.2 when the road bump of
making R windows binaries multi-architectures passes.

Experiences of those running the 64-bit Windows implementation are
invited!

Roger