[R-sig-Geo] reading .grd file in R?

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Sat Oct 9 10:19:20 CEST 2010

On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 12:32 AM,  <govindas at msu.edu> wrote:

> Can someone let me know what package and function should be used to read *.grd files in R? I tried readGDAL, open.ncdf functions already which threw errors for file format mismatch.

 A file extension is not a good indication of what the file type is. I
could rename any file 'foo.grd' and it could be anything.

 Show us what readGDAL gives as an error message, and then we might be
able to help. readGDAL tries to guess the file format, maybe it
guessed right but the file is corrupted.

 Where did the file come from? Can we get it? Can you open it in a
text editor? Do you have a unix/linux box so you can run the command
'file' on it?

Barry