[R-sig-Geo] Package for Classification????

Robert J. Hijmans r.hijmans at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 15:55:57 CET 2010

For supervised classification the advantage of R could be that you
have more a more flexible algorithms available. I know some folks have
been using RandomForest together with 'raster' so that you can do
large files. You can have a look at the 'dismo' package which talks
about species distribution modeling (but the flow of data analysis is
the same for classification).

For unsupervised classification the R algorithms are nice too but they
have data size limitations that cannot be solved by 'raster'.

Robert

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 4:46 AM, Lucy Tallents
<conservationgis at btinternet.com> wrote:
> Dear Malik,
>

> I'm a newcomer to GRASS and R myself, having recently moved over from
> ArcGIS/Erdas, so I'm probably not the best person to assist you.  My
> suggestion was merely that it seems sensible to use a GIS software to do a
> GIS task, particularly one such as classification which often requires a
> large degree of interaction with the data to define training samples and
> improve the classification iteratively.

Or do data analysis with data analysis software (such as R)?