[R-sig-Geo] lognormal kriging and backtransfomation

Patrick Giraudoux patrick.giraudoux at univ-fcomte.fr
Wed Mar 31 16:45:07 CEST 2010

Dear Edzer,

We are revising a paper and it appears that one of the referee ask
(innocently ?) about how we have back transformed the predicted values
obtained from a lognormal kriging. Quite naively we initially did it
using a simple exponential, but the question drove us to think this
question was not that innocent, and to some more reading... It happened
that things are not so simple and that a quite complex formula has been
proposed in Cressie (2006) Block Kriging for Lognormal Spatial
Processes. Mathematical geology 38(4): 413-443 and used at least in
Rawlins et al (2006). It is however a far beyond my understanding using
"Lagrange multipliers" and so on...

Do you know if this back transformation has been implemented in gstat or
elsewhere ?

If not, any though about how to do it from gstat outputs ?

Thanks in advance for any hint,

Patrick