[R-sig-Geo] GWR with GWT file

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Mar 11 19:21:39 CET 2010

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010, Jay Douillard wrote:

> I'm working on a project where the distance between two polygons may be
> a poor measure of connectivity(contigious polygons that may have an
> impassible mountain chain between them. To get a better measure of
> distance I've used road network distances from population weighted
> centroids of the polygons. I've created a row standarized gwt style file
> using arcgis's network tools, and a bit of table editing. I can
> successfully import this into R. File format in "old style GWT" for
> example:

> 473
> 1 2 .111
> 1 3 .22
> 1 4 .66
> 2 1 .11
>

> Is possible to use your own weighting scheme in spgwr? Is it using a
> listw object? I couldn't find any indication in the documentation.

Jay,

It isn't, but it probably wouldn't be too hard to do under certain
conditions. The non-neighbours would be treated as outside the bandwidth,
I suppose, otherwise one is looking at a full matrix for asymmetric road
networks. The source for spgwr is on the r-spatial project on sourceforge,
so you could check out what there is and see how one might add a listw=
argument to gwr() for a given bandwidth first - branching around the
spDistsN1() in .GWR_int() after passing the listw object through.

Roger