[R-sig-Geo] spatial durbin model with large dataset

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Jun 24 10:01:05 CEST 2010

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010, Mi Diao wrote:

> Thanks a lot for your help, Roger!
>
> I ran into another problem when I try to calibrate spatial lag and
> spatial durbin model with this dataset using spdep. The error messages
> that I got are:
>
> Error in solve.default(-(mat), tol.solve = tol.solve) :
>  Lapack routine dgesv: system is exactly singular

After an error, always report the output of traceback(), and always show
the command in full that led to the error. In addition, always show the
output of sessionInfo(). On examining the entrails, it looks (guesswork)
as though the matrix output of the adjusted finite difference Hessian
of the coefficients seems to be singular, which suggests that perhaps the
X variables and the WX are strongly correlated. Try:

SD_fit <- lagsarlm(y ~ x, data=df, listw=lw, type="mixed",
   method="Matrix", tr=trMat, control=list(compiled_sse=FALSE))
SD_fit <- lagsarlm(y ~ x, data=df, listw=lw, type="mixed",
   method="Matrix", control=list(compiled_sse=FALSE))
SD_fit <- lagsarlm(y ~ x, data=df, listw=lw, type="mixed",
   method="Matrix", control=list(compiled_sse=TRUE))
SD_fit <- lagsarlm(y ~ x, data=df, listw=lw, type="mixed",
   method="Matrix", control=list(fdHess=FALSE))

and if any of them succeed, do

summary(SD_fit)

and see if any of the coefficients are aliased. The other warnings about
the line optimisation reseting on NA suggests that there are issues with
your spatial weights too - the fact that you can fit the model in GeoDa
doesn't mean that the fit is OK - with odd weights, you can get odd
results. Does the lagsarlm() fit with type="lag" give you the same results
as GeoDa? Are your weights in spdep the same as in GeoDa? Are you maybe
using inverse distance or similar odd weights?

If this doesn't make sense, please put your code, a copy of the GeoDa lag
model fit, and save()-ed input data objects into a zip archive and post a
link to them.

Hope this helps,

Roger